Sunday, July 1, 2007

Water logging in my house.

Saturday 30th June 2007

It was weekend I woke up late at around 10.30AM. When I woke up I felt that its too early since sky was very dark and it was raining. I looked at the watch it said 10.30 AM so I woke and went to the wash basin to wash my face. What I saw from my window at that moment took breath out of me for a second it was raining but the rains were not usual it was raining very heavily and there was water logging around my house. This happens every year but what shook me was that the water level was very high. It was never been so high, even on 26th July 2005 water level was not this high.

Let me brief you about 26th July 2005. It was a darkest day in the history of Mumbai. Thousands of people were injured, 100 were dead and countless people were left without homes. That is enough for the dark day.

I went out of my house to check the water level. I looked at the stone we had a stone kept near to our house. That stone was used for years as a water level indicator. The stone was completely immersed in water. I was scared as this had never happened before. I called my father and told him about the situation and reuqested him to take some action. Since it was weekend no one was available for help. So he said that nothing can be done other than praying "Rain God". In India we have gods for everything.

Slowly and slowly the water level began to rise. In some 30 minutes I was not able to see that stone at all. Also the water came closer to my house and slowly entered my house. This was happening first time in 100 years, yeah I said 100 years my forefathers also used to stay in this house, now I was really really scared. We switched on the TV to check the situation in other parts of the city. The news reader said that since there was a high tide the water from drainage lines is not flowing into the sea. This made me realize the root cause of water level. By now the water had entered our living room and our feet were completely drenched in water. We immediately switched of the mains in order to avoid short circuit. Everything started to float in my house. Our kitchen level was slightly higher than living room so we moved some furniture into the kitchen from from living room assuming that water will not enter kitchen. But that was not true. In some 15 mins water entered into the kitchen.

I had my darling inside the kitchen, my computer is my darling, so i rushed to the kitchen and disconnected all the wires from CPU and kept it on the top of the table to avoid water contact. In all these mess my mother started crying, ooh no, now what ? I tried to condole her saying that its alright don't worry everything will be alright in some time but she would not stop crying. The family who stays on the 1st floor came down and told my mom to go with them and rest for a while, my mom thankfully did so. By this time water was everywhere inside the house so I and my neighbor (I called him for some help) started moving things at a higher altitude. It took us some 30 minutes. After that I locked my home and went outside to look what is happening.

We went on the road to look how the situation was, to our surprise there was no water on the road. So we rushed back to the building to check why was water not flowing out of our building. It took us some 10 minutes to find the reason. our building was at slightly at lower level as compared to the other building that is under construction, so all the water from that building was flowing into our building. We immediately called the contractor of that building and made him aware about the situation. He immediately sent his men to help us in this situation.

We had a small channel between road and our building. We decided to use that channel to move water out of my building. There was a slope from our building towards road but it was badly jammed with mud and stone from the construction site. I, my neighbor and the 2 men provided by contractor started moving those stones and mud out of the way to allow to water to flow out of the building. It took us 2Hrs to remove all the stones and mud. Finally water started moving out of our building and it was only by 5PM in the evening that all the water moved out of my house not building. So we moved back to our house and started cleaning operation which got completed by 11PM. Then I rested in peace and had a nice sleep.

I hope that I will never have to face such terrible situation in my life again. Also, I will pray that you people don't have to face such situation.

No comments: